Nutrition Metrics System
Perhaps one of the most difficult tasks is to promote the I-Metrics CMS capabilities and this maybe accomplished by demonstrating its use when developing complex plugins. Although the title of this topic may sound unfamiliar is just another implementation of the CMS with food and nutrition sources. So lets begin by giving a synopsis of the NuMetrics plugin.
The NuMetrics (Nutrition Metrics) system utilizes the USDA database of food sources by providing the following major points:
- An advanced search for nutrients and food sources
- A food sources editor/creator where the food properties can be described, with their associated nutrient values and weight measurements.
- A user friendly interface which exposes the categorization of food sources as given by the USDA database.
- A reports generator that can process intake values of food sources and print them to HTML or PDF formats
- A nutrients analysis system that displays nutrient values for a given set of foods.
- Storage for intake reports and clients.
- Categorization of reports and association of report sets with clients.
- Nutrients Editor/Creator and organizer.
- Recipes creator/editor given a set of basic food sources.
- Automatic calculation of major nutrients for a given intake.
The Nutrition Metrics is a food and nutrients intake system create to improve general diet. NuMetrics currently processes the USDA database of food sources and can create reports, search for specific foods or suggest foods for a given nutrient, display detailed nutrient intake and stores customer intake reports. The plugin incorporates an advanced foods editor to create new or edit existing food sources, a nutrient control system, an optimized regular search facility, advanced search by food, food groups and nutrients, a recipe editor/generator, a converter of recipes to foods, assignments of intake reports to customers, pdf and html reports, glucemic index analysis, protein aminoacids comparison as well as color indicators for each nutrient.
At present the pluginy operates on the administration end only. Once installed NuMetrics will integrate a new box of options at the top-left of the admin navigation. The NuMetrics is released under GNU/GPL, the latest release v1.00 is available to download here:
You need to download and install the I-Metrics CMS v1.13 or higher in order to use NuMetrics. Assuming you do have the environment setup the next steps to install NuMetrics
if you don't have the I-Metrics CMS are:
1. Download and Install the I-Metrics CMS, it is available in several open
source repositories including sourceforge.net, freshmeat.net, github.com
as well as from the link above..
To install NuMetrics follow these steps:
1. Under the admin/includes/plugins folder where you installed the I-Metrics CMS create a folder called numetrics
2. Copy the numetrics.zip in that folder.
3. Goto the I-Metrics Administration -> Plugins, under the compressed plugins select the numetrics.
4. On the right-side of the page click confirm to extract the archive.
5. On the same page now select the NuMetrics Foods Source Intake System and click install.
The installation process may take several minutes as the foods and nutrients database are approx 50 MB.
If you are installing on a web server on the internet use your host's cpanel to create the numetrics directory and upload numetrics.zip in it. Ensure the location and name of the plugin folder is correct. Do not alter the folder's name as the CMS expects the archive to match the plugin folder and the install class of NuMetrics expects to the exact name to be in place.
Documentation/Help is integrated with the plugin in the various pages/features. Click the icon adjacent to the head title for instant help.
Using the advanced Plugin system of the I-Metrics CMS create your own plugins or integrate existing ones to gear your website around your niche.
This section contains technical information of the Plugins Manager, integrated Plugins and each of these add-ons operates on the web-front and back end of the framework